“So tell me about yourself.”
I usually answer this question with mentions that I live with my roommates (er, family) in the suburbs, I like photography and that I enjoy reading. Naturally, the follow up question to the last question is “What book are you reading now?” or “Do you have any book recommendations?” I think they’re usually expecting fiction requests (The Kite Runner and or anything by Khaled Hosseini) and unfortunately, these days, I’m more of a non-fiction reader. I’ll spare you the business books on my nightstand now (did I just lose you?) since this is a photography-oriented site. 🙂 But for those of you who enjoy a good picture book from time to time, here are the photography books I’ve poured over in the last month all thanks to the libraries in my area*:
- Read This if You Want To Take Great Photographs: I’m still reading this one, but like it A LOT. (Since I’m shooting more portraits these days, I bought its complementary book Read This if You Want To Take Great Photographs of People. I flipped through it quickly and am glad it’s now in my book collection.)
- The Street Photographer’s Manual: This book was so resourceful that I may make another Amazon purchase.
- Street Photography Now
- The Americans: It’s a classic. Had to at least look through it.
- Sante D’Orazio A Private View: Photographs & Diary: I’m digging fashion photography lately. This is ironic as I’m a walking Fashion Don’t.
- Kate Spade New York: Places to Go, People to See: Another one I’ve contemplated buying to keep around for visual inspiration
- The Unforgettable Photograph: 228 Ideas, Tips and Secrets For Taking The Best Pictures of Your Life
- Instamatic Karma: Photographs of John Lennon: If you’re a Beatles fan, it’s possible that you’ve seen many of these pictures but I find it fascinating that May Pang (John Lennon’s girlfriend) had these images sitting in a box before publishing them. [Is this a good time to remind you to print your pictures?]
Photo books I’ve read before that I really liked:
- Annie Leibovitz at Work
- Vivian Maier: Street Photographer: Of course, I’ll support a fellow Chicagoan. 🙂
- See San Francisco: Through the Lens of SFGirlbyBay: Not a secret that I love SF.
- Paris in Color: Recommended to me by my friend Leyla the first time we met. I always find myself returning to this book when I need a burst of color & inspiration.
Do you have photography books you’d recommend?
*Support your library!